Sunday, August 1, 2010

Letters: Lady in Transition / MarketDay



Dear Woman in Transition,

I have been thinking of you ever since Saturday and just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I hope that life will be kind to you and that you will find both of your feet standing strong again soon. In the meantime, I jotted down a few things that I hope will help. 

Give Yourself Time
Know that you'll have highs and lows as you move through this and let yourself work through it. We all want to put up a brave front and push through it and be a super person all the time, but know that in the midst of this change...you are also human and need to work through it at your pace, on your time frame. 


Surround Yourself
Don't do this alone. We are in a world surrounded by people that have been put in our lives for this very reason. Call them up, let them know that is going on and rally a good group of trusted people that are invested in you, your happiness and will be there when you need it most. 


Dead Weight
Change always seems to shake the dead weight from my life, like a midwest summer storm. People tend to divide up into a few different camps, here are a few that I've experienced over the years that have been helpful to me.

• The Fixers - They can't help themselves. This is what they do best. You will need these people when your momentum wavers and/or when you figure out where you are heading. 

• The Bailers - They don't know how to respond so they will disappear, but...give them a task and they are there in a heartbeat. They are not telepathic. 

• The Listeners - They will lend an ear for however long you need them for, but be cautious, it is tempting to abuse that.


Dare to Dream
Why not? When did we stop? Dream big and figure out how to reach it. It might be a series of steps, but allow yourself to even go there. 


Quiet the Voices of Doubt, Fear, and Unworthiness
I hear them too, but have learned over time to not take their advice. Push past and experience for yourself something different, out of your comfort zone, and unfamiliar. You'll be amazed at what you are capaple of. Grow and stretch yourself. We always sell ourselves short. Remind yourself daily - don't let yourself get in the way of what you are capable of. Others believe in you, how about believing in yourself. 


Lastly, We Are All Works In Progress

Do the best that you can, with what you have, at the time. Don't take that away from yourself. It's all we can ask from anyone. Give yourself and those around you the grace to make mistakes. Know that people's hearts are in the right place, but not always at the right time. Second chances are what life is about, so remind yourself that we are all a work in progress. 

All the Best,

Sandy






3 comments:

Corrine said...

Sandy, I think this is wonderful advice for me, too...I think we, as women, tend to be hardest on ourselves and expect perfection from ourselves.
I often think I would be in better shape (physically, mentally, spiritually, etc) if I would just live by the advice I can freely give others. :)

PinkSlip Studio said...

Corrine, you have my heart my friend. I know what you mean. That's why I wrote this post, it felt like advice to just give to so many people in my life and for me to take as well.

Andiruth said...

What a blessing...the threads are being woven together, and we only get to see one little patch of the great masterpiece. :-)