Friday, June 3, 2011

RE:THINK | Redefining Your Comfort Zones

I have always been drawn into nature as a retreat, a place of renewal, and insight. It soothes me on every level. So my hiking trip to the Black Hills, South Dakota was no different in a lot of ways, except in one - I went with the purpose to redefine my comfort zones. It was time to push past who I have been and figure out who I am going to be. 
Cathedral Spires Trailhead
Custer State Park, Black Hills, SD

I unplugged from the world and set my sights on a pure, uninterrupted hike with the intent to flush out a vision for things to come. It was more than I bargained for and I was surprised every step of the way.  

On the third day I hiked to the highest point east of the Rockies and west of the Alps, settling at the top of Harney's Peak with a queasy feeling in my belly. Heights have always had this affect on me. I was bound and determined not to let that feeling take over and limit my exploration. I gave it some time and then I set off scrambling over rocks, up peaks, and into valleys - finding myself more at home with every step. Apparently I will climb anything if  a blue diamond is leading the way!

Harney's Peak
Custer State Park, Black Hills, SD
With every day I hiked through and past myself, my fears, my hesitations, and my confusion about my life. I let my mind wander, dream, and hope again. By the end of the week, my mind was pouring out possibilities and a profound sense of purpose covered me. I can't say that I have everything figured out, but I do know this, I've tapped into something deeper than even I knew about myself and I will fight to keep that feeling on a daily basis. 

My goal: a dear friend told me to take one risk a day, no matter how small. I am going to take her up on this. Thanks Megan. Might nice. 


I have a sneaky feeling that it will build for a lifetime  and shape me for years to come. 
LINKS: Black Hills informationGoogle Photos of Custer State Park - Black HillsAll about Harney PeakHistory of Custer State ParkBest Dining in Custer - Sage Creek Grille, Tip: Stop in Purple Pie place for their bumblebee pie and the Naked Winery with the funniest spin on wine

No comments: