Sunday, April 25, 2010

RE:THINK | What's All The Rush?

Static.
It's tempting and easy to remain the same and become comfortable with that. But where is the growth, the gained experience that might one day turn into wisdom if I don't stretch myself? So, I'm starting to re:think how I approach daily activities and how I live life. What about you? If given only today, what would you re:think and do differently tomorrow?

For me, off the bat, I'd stop rushing around. I was out with my husband this afternoon, driving around town doing various errands and I realized that my pace is pretty frenetic. When did that happen?

Over the years, from various jobs, I think I have incorporated the client "last minute rush" pace into my daily live. So, as a result, slipping over into my daily life I seem to think that everywhere that I go, I need to get there quickly. How often am I doing this?

Making a change.
Last week, I paid attention to my pace at work, in the car, and in home. It was a bit shocking to realize that I didn't shut off this exhausting sense of movement anywhere except when I climb into bed at night. At work I found myself clomping with quick strides to and from meetings, my desk, to the breakroom, and the printer - all on my own accord. As I settled into my car I found myself constantly trying to find the most efficient lane of traffic to be as well as, trying to determine the shortest route to my destination. At home, it didn't see to be much different. I slide around the main floor trying to multi-task as many things as possible, to avoid having to make too many trips to put things away. So, where is the balance between being efficient and being too tightly wound?

I think what made me realize that I needed to re:think this, was that I was constantly feeling like I was never succeeding at anything that I did, nor was I enjoying what I was doing. So, this week I have a goal for myself. To slow way, way, way down and purposefully try to enjoy each moment that I am in. To really push myself to re:think why I am rushing and if it is really necessary.

No comments: